Recipe by SmHerndon
And Asparagus, if desired. A 5-STAR recipe from BH&G, I promise! Very tasty. Can be grilled or broiled. (The asparagus cooking time will vary with the size. If no room on the grill, asparagus can be grilled after steak.)
Top Review by jrivera
I have made this a few times now and just havent had a chance to review yet. But the kids and I all love it and the kids are more chicken peoples than steak, but they will gobble this all up!. I use the cheaper cuts of steak to be more economical and it turns out tender and delicious and I am going to double the asparagus next time because they fight over it!
- garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (cracked or coarsely ground)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 -10 thin asparagus spears, trimmed (6 oz.)
- 2 teaspoons garlic-flavored olive oil or 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dijon-style mustard
- 2 steaks, - cut of choice (prefer tenderloins)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub the steak on both sides with a mixture of the garlic, pepper, and salt, pressing in the mixture with your fingers. Place the asparagus in a shallow dish and drizzle with the oil. For sauce, in a medium skillet stir together the broth and wine; cook over high heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 1/4 cup. Whisk in mustard; keep warm.
- Preheat grill on high setting, if available, or see Conventional Method below. Place steak on the grill rack; if using a covered grill, close lid. Grill until steak is desired doneness (for a covered grill, allow 3 to 4 minutes for medium rare or 5 to 7 minutes for medium- For an uncovered grill, allow 6 to 8 minutes for medium rare or 8 to 10 minutes for medium, turning steak once). If space allows, add asparagus to covered grill for the last 2 to 3 minutes or for uncovered grill the last 4 to 5 minutes of grilling; cook asparagus until crisp-tender.
- Spoon sauce on serving plate; cut steak in half crosswise; serve steak halves atop sauce with asparagus on top.
- Conventional Method: Prepare as above but place steak on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 8 to 10 minutes for medium rare or 10 to 12 minutes for medium, turning once and adding asparagus to the rack of the broiler pan the last 2 minutes of broiling; serve as directed above.