Lise in Indiana's Note:
Similar to the 50's classic, but updated to the stove top, so the shrimp stays tender and the sauce satiny. Serve this with pasta or rice and Brussel sprouts for a pretty plate - and a slice of garlic bread to soak up this delicious sauce
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 inch piece baguette, cut into small pieces
- 88.74 ml butter, cut into 5 pieces
- 29.58 ml shallots, minced
- table salt
- ground black pepper
- 29.58 ml fresh parsley, minced
- 907.18 g large shrimp, peeled and deveined (25-36)
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 19.71 ml vegetable oil, divided
- 19.71 ml garlic, minced
- 0.59 ml red pepper flakes
- 14.79 ml all-purpose flour
- 78.07 ml dry sherry or 78.07 ml white wine
- 158.51 ml clam juice, bottled
- 9.85 ml fresh lemon juice
- 1Pulse bread in a food processor until coarsely chopped,some larger crumbs remaining; there should be about 1 cup of crumbs.
- 2In a 12" skillet, melt 2 Tbs. butter over medium heat. Add crumbs, shallots,1/8 teaspoons salt and 1/8 teaspoons pepper.
- 3Cook and stir until crumbs are golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes.
- 4Stir in 1 Tbs. parsley and transfer crumbs to a plate to cool.
- 5Wipe out the skillet with paper toweling.
- 6Thoroughly dry shrimp n paper toweling. Sprinkle shrimp with sugar, 1/4 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoons pepper.
- 7Heat skillet over high heat and add 2 teaspoons oil and heat to shimmering.
- 8Add HALF the shrimp in a single layer and cook until it's spotty brown and edges are pink (do not flip shrimp!).
- 9Remove pan from heat and transfer shrimp to a large plate.
- 10Wipe out skillet with paper toweling and repeat with remaining 2 teaspoons oil and shrimp, transferring it to the plate with the first batch of shrimp.
- 11Wipe out skillet, return to medium heat and melt 1 Tbs. butter in the pan.
- 12Add garlic and red pepper flakes, cooking and stirring for about a minute (don't let the garlic burn!).
- 13Add the flour and cook about a minute then slowly add the clam juice and sherry (or wine), stirring constantly.
- 14Bring to a simmer and reduce to about 3/4 cup, 3 - 4 minutes. then stir in remaining 3 Tbs. butter, 1 Tbs. at a time, to add shine to the sauce.
- 15Stir in lemon juice and remaining 1 Tbs. parsley.
- 16Reduce heat to medium-low and return shrimp to sauce and toss to coat.
- 17Cook covered for 2 or 3 minutes until shrimp is pink and cooked through.
- 18Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle with the toasted bread crumbs.
- 19Garnish with lemon wedges, if desired.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlicky Shrimp With Bread Crumbs (De Jonghe)
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 628.9
- Calories from Fat 240
- Total Fat 26.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 391.4 mg
- Sodium 779.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 49.6 g