Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Similar to the 50's classic, but updated to the stove top, so the shrimp stays tender and the sauce satiny. Serve this with pasta or rice and Brussel sprouts for a pretty plate - and a slice of garlic bread to soak up this delicious sauce
- 3 inch piece baguette, cut into small pieces
- 88.74 ml butter, cut into 5 pieces
- 29.58 ml shallots, minced
- table salt
- ground black pepper
- 29.58 ml fresh parsley, minced
- 907.18 g large shrimp, peeled and deveined (25-36)
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 19.71 ml vegetable oil, divided
- 19.71 ml garlic, minced
- 0.59 ml red pepper flakes
- 14.79 ml all-purpose flour
- 78.07 ml dry sherry or 78.07 ml white wine
- 158.51 ml clam juice, bottled
- 9.85 ml fresh lemon juice
- Pulse bread in a food processor until coarsely chopped,some larger crumbs remaining; there should be about 1 cup of crumbs.
- In a 12" skillet, melt 2 Tbs. butter over medium heat. Add crumbs, shallots,1/8 teaspoons salt and 1/8 teaspoons pepper.
- Cook and stir until crumbs are golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1 Tbs. parsley and transfer crumbs to a plate to cool.
- Wipe out the skillet with paper toweling.
- Thoroughly dry shrimp n paper toweling. Sprinkle shrimp with sugar, 1/4 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoons pepper.
- Heat skillet over high heat and add 2 teaspoons oil and heat to shimmering.
- Add HALF the shrimp in a single layer and cook until it's spotty brown and edges are pink (do not flip shrimp!).
- Remove pan from heat and transfer shrimp to a large plate.
- Wipe out skillet with paper toweling and repeat with remaining 2 teaspoons oil and shrimp, transferring it to the plate with the first batch of shrimp.
- Wipe out skillet, return to medium heat and melt 1 Tbs. butter in the pan.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes, cooking and stirring for about a minute (don't let the garlic burn!).
- Add the flour and cook about a minute then slowly add the clam juice and sherry (or wine), stirring constantly.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce to about 3/4 cup, 3 - 4 minutes. then stir in remaining 3 Tbs. butter, 1 Tbs. at a time, to add shine to the sauce.
- Stir in lemon juice and remaining 1 Tbs. parsley.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and return shrimp to sauce and toss to coat.
- Cook covered for 2 or 3 minutes until shrimp is pink and cooked through.
- Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle with the toasted bread crumbs.
- Garnish with lemon wedges, if desired.