Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Came up with this one a few summers ago when I wanted to impress a newly acquired "beau". He loved it, I hated him ....I dumped him but kept the recipe. Creamy & cheesy, this one isn't low in calories but it is pretty quick. Basically an Alfredo recipe but really garlic-ed up. I've also made this w/crayfish once & it was just as good.
- 1⁄4 lb salted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped garlic
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 8 ounces freshly grated parmesan cheese (NOT "sprinkle cheese" or parmesan in a can-freshly grated is best; can use bagged shredded if need b)
- 1⁄2 lb fresh shrimp, cleaned & deveined
- 1⁄2 lb lobster, cut into bite size pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (fresh ground is best)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 lb cooked pasta, of your choice (I usually use penne or fusilli)
- In large skillet slowly melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- While it's melting add the olive oil (this should keep it from burning).
- Butter/oil should be bubbly but not browned.
- Brown the garlic in the butter/olive oil, tossing to keep color even.
- Be careful not to burn.
- Lower heat slightly and add the heavy cream& nutmeg.
- Stir, scraping bottom of the pan.
- Simmer for 3 minutes, stirring OFTEN.
- Once the cream has been incorporated thoroughly, add the cheese a little bit at a time.
- Before adding more cheese, make sure the last bit has melted into the cream mixture.
- Add the shrimp& lobster.
- This should cook fairly quickly.
- Salt& pepper to taste& toss w/cooked pasta& chopped basil.
- Excellent in the summer served with May Wine or any slightly sweet white wine.
- Also great with Peach Iced tea.
This was positively FABULOUS. (Not the guy, the recipe..haha) I had to use my jarred nutmeg and I used freshly grated pecorino (try that instead! You'll love it!) but everything else I followed to the letter. I can tell you are a basil junkie like I am...loved all the basil. This is a great recipe with perfect ingredients. I look foward to your other recipes, I can see you are a fantastic chef.
Very good and easy. What more could you ask for?
The only changed I made was adding mushrooms (because I put them in anything I can) We thought that the pasta had a nice flavor, but too much garlic. If I made it again I would use less basil and garlic.