Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Great with chicken or fish. This recipe is from Great Chicken Dishes by Linda Fraser. I love the lemony flavour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons mixed herbs (I prefer basil and chives)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sauté onion and garlic in oil until golden.
- Add the rice and toss until covered with oil.
- Stir in the stock, lemon rind and herbs and bring to a boil.
- Transfer to baking dish, cover and cook in middle of oven 40-50 minutes.
- Stir the rice once or twice during cooking.
I found this recipe today while looking for a "side" rice dish to serve with my chicken main course. I used regular white long grain rice, just a smidgeon of lemon rind and mixed dried herbs of parsley and basil. I only baked it for 30 minutes as it appeared to be done and I didnt want the rice to dry out. Dinner was delayed so I drizzled some garlic butter mixed with parsley flakes over the rice. Perfect! thanks for posting. " of ri
We really loved this one!!! I increased the garlic to 8 cloves and used parsley and basil as my herbs. Only had to bake this for 25 minutes and it was sheer perfection. The flavor was so incredible. The lemon zest is what really made it, in my mind. Will DEFINITELY make this again! Thank you for posting!
A very nice rice dish. I used a long grain and wild rice mix b/c it is what I had on hand- and used only fresh basil for the herbs, for the same reason. It was moist, flavorful and fresh tasting. The addition of lemon zest really added a nice zip to the dish. Thanks so much for sharing! We will make this again and again!