Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is my favorite side dish to serve with steak, meatloaf or fried chicken. Adding healthy kale is a simple way to make potatoes more nutritious, and it turns the mashed potatoes an appealing green color without affecting the flavor much at all.
- 2 lbs white potatoes or 2 lbs red potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄2 lb kale, stems and ribs removed
- 3 -5 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 1 -4 tablespoon milk, as needed
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Put the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Use enough water to cover the potatoes by an inch or so. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- As the water is warming up, tear the kale into pieces and put it in the pot on top of the potatoes. Cover, and cook until potatoes are fork tender and kale is cooked but still a vivid green (about 20 minutes).
- Drain the kale and potatoes, and put back in the pot. Add the garlic and butter, and puree with an immersion blender. While pureeing, add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached. Season with salt and pepper; serve right away.