1/1 Photo of Garlicky Pork and Mushroom Risotto
1 hr 20 mins
I won't kid you: this is no "fast-n-e-z" risotto recipe, but one that is well worth the effort. Italian comfort food at its best! So pour yourself a nice glass of wine (perhaps the one you are using in the recipe) while you're in the kitchen and enjoy yourself while creating this gift of love :) Preparation time does not include time to chill pork before slicing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g lean pork (thick boneless pork chops, for example)
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, flattened but still in one piece
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 225 g uncooked arborio rice
- 1 1/4 liters water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes (low sodium, if possible)
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (suitable for drinking)
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 50 g finely grated parmesan cheese (the good stuff)
- 500 g fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1Slice the pork AGAINST the grain as thinly as possible;.
- 2if using un-frozen pork, place it in the freezer beforehand for 30 minutes to one hour which will make this much easier (if using pre-frozen pork, simply slice it before it is completely thawed).
- 3Heat 1 TBS of the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed soup pan (I use a non-stick one), and when it is hot, add the flattened garlic clove.
- 4Fry the garlic till it is browned, then remove and discard.
- 5Add the pork slices and quickly stir-fry till completely cooked through (just a few minutes); remove and set aside.
- 6Heat the butter and remaining olive oil in the pan.
- 7Add the onion and minced garlic and saute just until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- 8Add in the rice and mix well to coat the grains with the oil.
- 9While doing this, bring the water with chicken bouillon cubes added to a boil in a large pot, then reduce to a low simmer.
- 10Using a one-cup ladle, add enough of the simmering broth just to cover the rice, adjusting the heat under the rice so that it is at a low simmer.
- 11As the rice absorbs this liquid, add another ladleful of the simmering broth to the rice, stirring as needed and repeatedly adding more broth just as the previous amount is absorbed by the rice (but never allowing the rice to go completely dry); this process will take 30-45 minutes, but can't be rushed.
- 12After the last of the bouillon is absorbed, the rice will be cooked and creamy in consistency.
- 13Add in the cream, wine, paprika and cheese and mix well.
- 14Add in the mushrooms, parsley and pork slices, again mixing well.
- 15Allow to simmer an additional 2-3 minutes, to heat everything through and till the mushrooms just begin to wilt but not cook.
- 16Add pepper if needed, then serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlicky Pork and Mushroom Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (433 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 649.0
- Calories from Fat 307
- Total Fat 34.2 g
- Saturated Fat 16.7 g
- Cholesterol 108.1 mg
- Sodium 625.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 26.3 g