A Madhur Jaffrey recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 large mushrooms, sliced lengthwise
- 3 scallions, cut into fine rounds
- 1 hot green chili pepper, sliced into fine rounds
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, finely grated
- 1/4 cup canned tomato, chopped
- 1Break eggs into bowl. add 1/4 tsp salt and some freshly ground black pepper and beat well. Pour into glass measuring cup.
- 2Put 2 TB of the oil in a medium frying pan and set over high heat. When oil is hot, add mustard seeds. As soon as they begin to pop (just takes a few seconds), add garlic. Stir once or twice. As soon as garlic starts to brown, add mushrooms and stir and cook until they lose their raw look.
- 3Now turn heat to medium and add scallions, green chile, cilantro, and ginger. Stir until green seasonings have wilted, about 1 minute.
- 4Add tomatoes and a little more salt and pepper. Stir for about 30 seconds, then turn off heat. This is the filling.
- 5Put 1 TB of oil in a 7-inch nonstick frying pan and set over high heat. When hot, pour in half of beaten eggs. Using a wooden spoon, stir eggs for 3-4 seconds or until they look like lumps of soft custard held together in one unbroken layer.
- 6Quickly spread half the stuffing along the center of the omelet and fold it over. Cook for a few more seconds and flip omelet over onto warm plate.
- 7Make the second omelet the same way.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlicky Mushroom Masala Omelet
Serving Size: 1 (280 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 464.6
- Calories from Fat 362
- Total Fat 40.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 528.7 mg
- Sodium 512.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 18.6 g