Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
A nicely flavored and colorful omelet from Madhur Jaffrey's Quick and Easy Indian Cooking.
Top Review by Maito
Very good omelette, though I wouldn't really describe the taste as Indian, since those flavors are quite subtle. I used fresh tomatoes, less than a tablespoon of oil, and more mushrooms/ginger. We had this for dinner and it was very much enjoyed.
- 5 large eggs
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 4 -6 medium mushrooms, sliced
- 3 scallions, cut into fine rounds (white and green parts)
- 1 fresh hot green chili pepper, cut into fine rounds
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 cup canned chopped tomato (lightly drained, if using fresh, double the quantity)
Directions See How It's Made
- Break eggs into a bowl. Add salt and pepper and beat well. Pour into a glass measuring cup.
- Put 2 T of oil in a medium sized frying pan and set over high heat. When the oil is hot, put in the mustard seeds - as soon as they begin to pop (just a few seconds) put in the garlic.
- Stir once or twice. As soon as garlic starts to brown, put in the mushrooms and stir till mushrooms lose their raw look.
- Turn heat to medium and put in the scallions, green chile, cilantro, ginger. Stir till the green seasonings have wilted - about a minute.
- Put in tomatoes and a little salt and pepper. Stir for 30 seconds (or for fresh tomatoes, till they are no longer watery) and turn off heat.
- Put 1 T of the oil in a 7-inch nonstick frying pan (or just spray it with cooking spray) and set over high heat.
- When hot, pour in half the beaten eggs. Using a wooden spoon or the back of a fork, stir the eggs for the next 3-4 seconds till they look like lumps of soft custard held together in one unbroken layer.
- Quickly spread half the filling along the center of the omelet and fold it over.
- Cook for a few seconds and flip omelet over onto a warm plate. Make the second the same way.
- Serve immediately.