1/6 Photos of Garlicky Mushroom Masala Omelet
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
A nicely flavored and colorful omelet from Madhur Jaffrey's Quick and Easy Indian Cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 large eggs
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 4 -6 medium mushrooms, sliced
- 3 scallions, cut into fine rounds (white and green parts)
- 1 fresh hot green chili pepper, cut into fine rounds
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup canned chopped tomato (lightly drained, if using fresh, double the quantity)
- 1Break eggs into a bowl. Add salt and pepper and beat well. Pour into a glass measuring cup.
- 3Put 2 T of oil in a medium sized frying pan and set over high heat. When the oil is hot, put in the mustard seeds - as soon as they begin to pop (just a few seconds) put in the garlic.
- 4Stir once or twice. As soon as garlic starts to brown, put in the mushrooms and stir till mushrooms lose their raw look.
- 5Turn heat to medium and put in the scallions, green chile, cilantro, ginger. Stir till the green seasonings have wilted - about a minute.
- 6Put in tomatoes and a little salt and pepper. Stir for 30 seconds (or for fresh tomatoes, till they are no longer watery) and turn off heat.
- 7Put 1 T of the oil in a 7-inch nonstick frying pan (or just spray it with cooking spray) and set over high heat.
- 8When hot, pour in half the beaten eggs. Using a wooden spoon or the back of a fork, stir the eggs for the next 3-4 seconds till they look like lumps of soft custard held together in one unbroken layer.
- 9Quickly spread half the filling along the center of the omelet and fold it over.
- 10Cook for a few seconds and flip omelet over onto a warm plate. Make the second the same way.
- 11Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlicky Mushroom Masala Omelet
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 453.4
- Calories from Fat 356
- Total Fat 39.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 465.0 mg
- Sodium 186.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 18.1 g