Recipe by Irmgard
Instead of being merely a seasoning, garlic is the star attraction in this robust soup - an entire head! Serve with whole grain or rye bread and a nice chunk of your favourite cheese!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole head garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 onion, minced
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups beef stock
- 1 (28 ounce) candiced plum tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup green lentil
- 1 1⁄2 cups small soup pasta
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Cook the garlic, stirring, 2 minutes or until soft but not brown.
- Add the carrots, celery and onion.
- Cook, stirring, 3 minutes.
- Stir in the stock, tomatoes with their juices, and lentils.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium; simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the pasta; simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until the pasta and lentils are tender.
- Stir in the zucchini and parsley; simmer 2 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.