Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love this recipe to help use up the surplus of greens. Loaded with iron. Mix and match whatever is ready in your garden or your neighbor;s
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine or 1⁄4 cup white wine (use water or apple juiceas a sub.) (optional)
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 8 cups leafy greens, washed & dried (Spinach, chard, beet greens, kale, cabbage, your choice)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Sate the onion& garlic in the oil over medium-high heat for apprx 5 minutes.
- Add sherry/wine, salt, pepper, allspice, oregano,& basil.
- Stir in the greens, press them down with the back of a spoon, mix, cook only until the are wilted apprx 5 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
My wife and I like greens, so we are always looking for new recipes for them, and this one worked very well. It is easy to make, and if you like garlic, you will enjoy this dish.
This is a delicious dish! I halve the recipe and used napa cabbage, spinach, and swiss chard(what I happened to have on hand). I used the full amount of sherry and seasonings. I did add 1/2 cup water to the greens and let them cook about 8-10 more minutes. Absolutely wonderful! Thanks Bergy!!!
Quite wonderful, even though I thought the parmesan cheese overpowered the other flavours. I used spinach, and cinnamon instead of allspice, which I didn't have. I also omitted the sherry and used garlic powder. I'd love to try this with cabbage next. Thanks for posting, Bergy!