Recipe by Katzen
A very garlicky chicken souvlaki, the recipe comes from an old friend's greek mother (he had to translate it for me.) It disappears very fast - and no vampires allowed!
Top Review by queenofeats
An easy and wonderful way to make souvlaki! As I don't have a grill, I had to oven bake my chicken - this was one of the few recipes that actually bothered to include an oven option! The chicken was moist and flavorful with only about an hour in the marinade - next time I'll be better prepared and leave it overnight. It'll only get better I'm sure! One trick I found was to skewer the chicken and then lay the skewers across the short side of a 9x13 pan. Keeping the skewers across the pan while baking is a great way to catch all the drippings and give it more of that rotisserie-style flavor! Served with Recipe #39658. I'll definitely be keeping this one on hand for the future!
- 2 lbs chicken breasts or 2 lbs pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 10 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed is best
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste (optional I don't usually add it)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine everything but chicken or pork, and whisk well. Place chicken in a seal able container, and marinate overnight to 24 hours.
- Soak skewers 30 minutes in water (so they won’t burn.).
- Skewer meat.
- BBQ or bake in oven until done (oven is 375 for 30-40 minutes.).