Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A semi-healthful dish uses veggies and chicken breast, providing a creamy and filling dish without too much fat. A bowl of this can easily serve as a meal for even a hearty eater if accompanied by a veggie or salad. Alternatively, it can be used as an appetizer for a much larger group of people.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups white rice
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 chicken breasts (diced)
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- sautée the garlic in the olive oil.
- add the rice and keep stirring.
- slowly add the wine and chicken broth about a quarter cup at a time, alternating periodically and letting the previous liquid be fully absorbed before adding more. Be sure to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom and boiling by stirring adequately. After about 10 minutes, add any toppings desired such as the chicken breast and broccoli. Continue this until all liquid is absorbed and rice is soft and cooked (about 40 minutes). If necessary, additional broth or water can be added to fully cook the rice.
- Once the rice is cooked, stir in the butter, melting it inches Then remove from heat and add the cheese.
My wife and I used boullion cubes instead of broth, no wine, and arborio instead of plain white rice, but otherwise kept to the recipe. It turned out great! And every ingredient is just something that we tend to keep on hand, so this was quite cheap as well. Thanks!
We had this tonight - I'm not a huge risotto fan but we had all the ingredients on hand and were trying to stretch chicken to feed a lot of people. This turned out GREAT! Very impressed! I'm pretty bad at sticking to recipes but the only thing that I changed was to add a bit of blue cheese right near the end - fab! Will for sure be making this again and it made a lot of leftovers!
Made this tonight, but we didn't have arborio rice (just sticky sushi rice) so we switched things up a little bit. I sauteed the garlic in olive oil then added half the amount of rice (cooked as per the recipe otherwise) and let that absorb while I browned the chicken in another pan, then added the broccoli to that, then added the rice to that, then added the cheese. I forgot the butter! Which saddened me once I realized because we just made homemade butter. But it was still really good! Next time I'll remember the butter and I imagine it'll be even better! This is much better than the usual dousing chicken and broccoli with melted cheddar! Thanks for the recipe.