Prep 10 mins
Cook 17 mins
Are you a Brussel Sprout fan? You might be convinced after trying these. This fast dish has lots of flavor. Recipe from Vegetarian Times.
- 1 lb Brussels sprout
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Place brussel sprouts in bowl of food processor. Pulse 12-15 times, or until roughly shredded.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium low heat. Add garlic, and cook 5-7 minutes, or until light brown.
- Increase heat to medium high and add shredded sprouts, red pepper, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Stir often.
- Add water and cook 5 minutes or more until most of the liquid is evaporated. Stir in vinegar and season to taste with additional salt or pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
- Note: Frozen sprouts can be used in a pinch in this recipe. Thaw first and reduce cooking time a bit. You want them to be crisp/ tender in this recipe.
I loved the garlic in this, but didn't really enjoy the texture of the shredded brussel sprouts. Next time, I think I'd chop them up coarsely, or just quarter them. Otherwise, I loved the recipe.
Yummy brussels sprouts! The brown sugar was nice with all that garlic and the red pepper. The shredding of the sprouts made this a quick and easy side dish - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for ZWT8, Chefs gone WILD!
Made as directed and love it! Thanks, Susie D! Made for the hostess with the mostess at 'Zaar - specifically PAC Fall '09. Thanks again, Susie D.