Recipe by Marla S
This is a delicious Chanukah recipe courtesy of Esther Weiner and Food Network It seems like a lot of work but its worth the time and smells awesome whens its cooking
- 7 -9 lbs beef brisket, top and bottom separated
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, slivered
- 3 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- paprika (Hungarian if possible)
- 1 cup hot water
- 6 -8 tablespoons ketchup
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.Make small slits all over both pieces of meat. Insert garlic into the slits in the meat Place one piece of meat into a roasting pan uncovered and place in oven for about 15 minutes searing the sides.Repeat the same process with the other piece of meat.Remove meat from the pan and set aside.Put the chopped onions on the bottom of the pan.Put both pieces of brisket back in the pan on top of the onions.Sprinkle the meat generously all over with the paprika and lightly dust with pepper.Add one cup of water cover the roasting pan and return to oven.reduce heat to 350 degrees and roast for 1 1/2 hrs basting every 15 minutes.Check the level of liquid and add more water if necessary.
- Remove pan from oven and spread 3 or 4 tablespoons of ketchup on each piece of meat,.
- Baste every 15 to 20 minutes and continue to add water as necessary.Roast for another 1 to 1 1/2 hours until meat is fork tender.
- Transfer brisket to another pan to cool. Reserve the gravy in a separate container.
- Slice brisket when cool and serve with gravy.