Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Southern-style shrimp and black-eyed pea supper.
Make and share this Garlicky Black-Pepper Shrimp and Black-Eyed Peas recipe from Food.com.
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 3⁄4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- Cook bacon in a 12" heavy skillet over medium heat until browned but not crisp. Transfer bacon to a plate, then tear into small pieces.
- Cook scallions, carrot, celery, bell pepper, 2 large garlic cloves, bay leaf, thyme, red pepper flakes, 1/8 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper in bacon fat in skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally until vegetables are pale golden, about 10 minutes. Add black-eyed peas and broth and simer for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers.
- Season shrimp with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Cook shrimp with remaining garlic, stirring occasionally, untiljust opaque (shrimp will not be fully cooked), about 3 minutes. Add wine and bring to boil, then briskly simmer for 2 minutes. Add bacon and black-eyed pea mixture and simmer until just heated through (mixture will be juicy). Discard bay leaf.
I didn't actually cook this - I had it a friend's house last night and it is SO good! We are (seafood eating) vegetarians so he made it without the bacon and its still great! I love it!!