Recipe by Barb G.
This pot roast recipe comes from Better Homes and Gardens. I also Like to add small red potatoes to it.
Top Review by Hey Jude
This is great pot roast! I made pretty much as is except that instead of the 3/4 cup water and 2 beef bouillon cubes I used some beef broth I had on hand. I left out the green beans because I didn't have any. The wine and broth combo makes a very tasty gravy! Thanks Barb, another great recipe.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 (3 lb) boneless beef round rump roast, trimed of seperatable fat
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine or 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb carrots, cut into 2 inch long pieces or 1 lb baby carrots
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen cut green beans
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a cold Dutch oven with nonstick cooking spray, then preheat over medium heat, Brown roast on all sides in the Dutch oven.
- Drain any fat.
- Add water, wine or broth, onion, garlic, bouillon granules, thyme, and pepper.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add carrots to Dutch oven and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Then, add beans and simmer 10 minutes more or until beans and meat are tender.
- Transfer roast and vegetables to a severing platter.
- Keep warm while making gravy.
- For gravy, skim fat from pan juices. Stir together cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water. stir mixture into pan juices.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Then cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- To serve, Spoon gravy over meat and vegetables.