Recipe by Garlicious!
This is a simple and sweet marinara sauce modeled after my grandmother's recipe. An elegant yet easy dish. This is my first recipe, hope you like it! Also good with fresh basil, oregano, and home grown garden tomatoes.
Top Review by LainieBug
This is one of the best marinara sauces that I have ever eaten - absolutely delicious. The only changes I made: the can of tomatoes I had in the pantry had sweet onions in them and the tomato paste had basil, garlic & oregano, but I still used the full amount of seasonings called for in the recipe. Also served over spaghetti noodles as I didn't have angel hair. The red wine I used is Barefoot Zinfandel. Definitely a keeper recipe for us! Made for Spring 2012 Pick A Chef.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 6 ounces red wine (use tomatoe paste can)
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop garlic into discs.
- On medium heat, heat 1/2 tbsp of olive oil in medium sauce pan, add garlic.
- Saute garlic for 2-3 minutes do not brown.
- Immediately add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and wine. Stir.
- Next add Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Salt, Pepper, & Sugar. Stir.
- Bring to a boil.
- Once brought to a boil, cover and lower heat. Set timer to 25-30 minutes Stir occasionally.
- Serve over angel hair pasta.