Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great side dish that can be served at barbecues, with lamb, beef or chicken. From Bon Appetit. ZWT Western region (Idaho potatoes).
- 36 garlic cloves
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 5 lbs russet potatoes, 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups white cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chipotle peppers, minced
- Preheat oven to 350°F Toss garlic with oil in baking pan. Cover with foil; bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until garlic is tender, about 15 minutes. Cool; peel and chop.
- Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain. Transfer potatoes to large bowl. Add garlic and remaining ingredients. Using electric mixer, beat mixture until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Cover; let stand at room temperature. Rewarm, stirring constantly, before serving.).
Great as written but can also be amended. I use 1-2 canned chipotle peppers, minced. Use salted butter or add salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes I use yellow cheddar or colby. Also good with the addition of chopped cooked bacon. For creamy potatoes I add milk or heavy cream. Can also be made as "smashed" potatoes (boil or bake potatoes whole with peels; smash ingredients with potato masher, will result in lumpy rather than creamy potatoes). I usually serve with grilled steak.
Good pototoes, but as stated before, much too dry. I added quite a bit of milk to make it the consistency that my family likes.