Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Every summer I like to dry tomatoes in the oven. Oven-Dried Herbed Tomatoes is a base of this recipes . Oven dried tomatoes with 1 bulb thinly sliced garlic, rosemary and basil is to die for!!!! You'll have garlicky, plump, juicy tomatoes with a hint of walnuts from the oil.
- 1⁄4 cup walnut oil, olive oil is just fine
- 1 bulb of garlic, sliced paper thin
- lots black pepper
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced rosemary
- 2 tablespoons minced basil
- 16 cups tomatoes (that are squeezed of excess water and seeds, quartered or cut into eights depending on size)
- preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Mix the first 7 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add tomatoes mix to coat with dressing.
- Place on 2 large parchment lined pans skin side down.
- Bake for 6-12 hours.
- Cool completely.
- Place in a jar and cover with oil.
- Store in refrigerator for 3 weeks. If it lasts that long!
So fresh tasting and so much cheaper than buying ready made
This is heavenly! I served these as a side with a vegetarian thin crust pizza and they sure disappeared. I did take some liberties Rita. I only did two tomatoes (romas) I cut each tomato into 8 pieces so they were quite thin cut. Mixed the tomatoes, garlic, rosemary, basil & lots of pepper. Spread that on parchment paper on my pizza stone. Then I lightly sprayed the tomatoes with Olive oil. Baked at 200 for 5 1/2 hours. Because they were cut smaller they did get quite dark but they tasted fantastic. The garlic was wonderful. Thanks Rita for posting this recipe that will be used over & over again.