Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A great cold-weather soup, hearty and filling. Easy to make, too!
- 6 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 -3 vegetable stock cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 6 slices French bread
- 1⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- In the bottom of a large soup pot, heat the olive oil.
- Add the minced garlic and sautee until the oil is infused, taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Add the paprika, and remove the pot from the flame when it begins to sizzle.
- Let sit for fifteen seconds or so, then return the pot to the flame.
- Add the canned chopped tomatoes, water, and bullion.
- Stir occasionally and allow to simmer.
- Make the croutons: butter the bread generously, and press the buttered side into the grated Parmesan.
- (I lightly butter the back of each slice, too.) Place bread cheese-side-up on a baking sheet and place in a 350 degree oven until cheese is melted and the croutons are beginning to look toasty.
- (You may finish in the broiler if desired.) Finish the soup by adding a few dashes of Tobasco sauce to taste, and salt& pepper if needed.
- TO SERVE Place a crouton in the bottom of each bowl and cover with generous ladle or two of soup.
Good stuff! Love the taste...yummy!