I whipped these little guys up since we were craving chicken wings from our favorite local restaurant. We didn't want to drive the 10 miles there - so I came up with this recipe with ingredients we had on hand. My fiance swears they are better than any we've had; and I have to agree!!!
- 3 lbs chicken wings, separated
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh ginger, pressed and minced (optional)
- vegetable oil (for frying) or canola oil (for frying)
- Heat butter, soy sauce, corn syrup, brown sugar, dry mustard, cayenne, garlic and ginger until butter and brown sugar melt. Cool and set aside in large bowl.
- Heat oil on high heat until it hisses when splashed with a drop of water.
- Coat chicken pieces with salt.
- Carefully lower chicken wings into hot oil. Fry until chicken is caramel in color and crispy; about 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Toss chicken in butter mixture until well coated. Remove and serve with blue cheese or ranch.