Recipe by Peyton's Mom
My family has been using this recipe since the 80's. These are great with steak or chicken. Also great if you are on a low calorie diet.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 4 cups fresh string beans or 4 cups frozen string beans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh ground pepper (about a tsp)
- 2 cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 dash fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In large heavy saucepan, heat oil.
- Add garlic and beans, and saute over high heat to sear beans, stirring frequently so they do not burn.
- Add thyme, sea salt, and pepper to taste.
- Add water and bouillon.
- Bring to boil, cover tightly, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until beans are tender when pierced with tip of sharp knife.
- Add more water, if necessary.
- Frozen beans will take only half the time.
- Add squeeze of lemon juice and toss well.
- Original recipe states it serves 2 but it easily will serve four as a side dish.