Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from a Moosewood book. It has a real garic odor and taste.
- 3 heads garlic
- 10 cups water
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 potatoes, scrubbed and coarsely chopped
- 2 -3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme or 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- Remove the loose, papery outer skins of the heads of garlic and break them apart into cloves.
- (there is no need to peel the cloves.) Combine all of the ingredients in a large pot and bring them to a boil.
- Cover lower heat, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Strain the stock and use it right away, or refrigerate it in a sealed container for up to 4 days, or freeze up to 6 months.