Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is a different dish for garlic lovers.
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 egg whites
- Combine cornmeal and water in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thickened; remove from heat.
- Add cheese, butter, garlic, and salt; stir until cheese melts. Gradually stir in milk. Add egg yolks, stirring well. Add the crumbled bacon, reserving a small amount for garnish; mix well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gently fold the egg whites into the cornmeal mixture.
- Pour into a lightly greased 2 ½-quart soufflé dish.
- Bake at 325°F for 65 minutes.
- Sprinkle reserved bacon on top and serve immediately.