Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
The garlic is the star of this creamy soup. Which adapts well to vegetarian diets by using vegetable stock in place of chicken stock. Saw a spinach soup recipe in magazine some time back and then lost it. Made this the other night which am sure is close to what I read.
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 12 ounces evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large pot bring spinach, chicken stock, carrot, onion, and garlic to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly and then carefully puree in small batches in a blender.
- Return soup to pot and keep warm on low.
- Mix flour into evaporated milk.
- Stir soup while gradually adding in milk flour mixture.
- Add pepper and nutmeg; heat through. Do not boil.
I don't think I ever made a spinach soup that I did not like. I made about half the recipe, which was two servings for us. I used a combination of fresh and frozen spinach, as I had some fresh to use up. I put a little butter in the saucepan, added the onion and carrots and sauteed for a bit. Then added the garlic and spinach and sauteed just a touch. Then I sprinkled the flour over the veggies and stirred until no flour was showing. Now I added the broth and simmered. When everything was soft, I added a combination of whole milk and half and half and blended. Reheated briefly to bring it up to the proper temp. I loved this as written, Mr Grumpy insisted on pouring in hot sauce.... Still, another good way of making a delicious soup.
Loved this! I also increased the nutmeg just a bit. I really enjoyed how light and tasty this was. I used frozen turkey stock leftover from Thanksgiving instead of chicken broth, and it seemed to work out well. Thanks for sharing!
This was DELICIOUS SOUP Debbwl! I made as directed, but added an additional 2 cups of broth, and used 8 cloves garlic. This made for a very garlicy flavor, but didn't overpower the spinach. WONDERFUL GOOD STUFF ~ DH really enjoyed it, he had 2 bowls. I served it with garlic-cheese croutons. Thanks for posting, a new keeper for us. Made for FALL PHOTO TAG - OCTOBER 2010!