Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is from the cookbook of the Stinking Rose Restaurant in LA. I use this as a spread adding more spinach to it, on top of toasted baguette slices. I also cut in half because i am only 1 person normally.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups Fontina cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups finely chopped spinach leaves
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
For the Dippers
- chilled cooked shrimp (optional)
- steamed asparagus spear (optional)
- zucchini, cut into matchsticks (optional)
- white mushroom (optional)
- cherry tomatoes (optional)
- stuffed pasta, cooked (optional)
- bread cubes (optional)
- crackers (optional) or breadstick (optional)
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, until it becomes golden brown around the edges. Be careful not to overcook the garlic, or it will become bitter. Add the wine.
- In a bowl, toss the cheeses with the cornstarch to coast. Add the cheese to the pan, 1 cup at a time, stirring frequently, until the cheese melts before adding the next cup. Add the spinach and the cream. Stir until the mixture becomes creamy and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to a fondue pot over low heat, or pour into a warmed ceramic ramekin. Sprinkle with minced chives. Serve immediately with your choice of dippers.
This was really good. Very nice blend of flavors. This is the first fondue recipe I ever made. It was much simpler than I had thought although it is definitely a recipe you want to have all your ingredients measured out and ready, as things go quite fast introducing the ingredients. Thanks for sharing MM. -Bird-
This had great flavor and was simple to make. I used half-and-half instead of heavy cream, because the mixture seemed a little too thick to me. It had the perfect amount of garlic, and the chopped spinach made the sauce visually appealing. I think this is closer to 4 servings (my boyfriend and I can eat A LOT, and we weren't able to finish this off). We dipped mushrooms, broccoli, and zucchini sticks. Thanks so much for posting this; we really enjoyed it!