Recipe by Montana Heart Song
I had to bring a dish my hubby could eat at our family Easter picnic today. Here is my creation. Everyone liked it, even the small ones. Very Easy! I garnished with sliced green olives,
- 4 quarts water
- 2 cups small shell pasta
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb fresh shrimp or 1 lb boiled small shrimp, devined, tails off, chopped small pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced celery
- 2⁄3 cup diced white onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced fresh carrots
- 1⁄4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 2 cherry peppers, chopped with seeds (optional)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup Miracle Whip (or 1 cup mayonnaise with 1 tsp lemon juice and 2 3 gram packets Splenda sugar substitute)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large stockpot, bring water and 1 tsp salt to a boil.
- Add shell macaroni and stir.
- Cook 8 to 10 minutes, ala dente. rain and rinse.
- While macaroni cooking,place shrimp in a ziplock bag with olive oil, paprika, garlic, salt or salt substitute,white pepper,thyme, and oregano. Shake,shake, shake and set aside in refrigerator.
- In large serving bowl, add all of the chopped and diced vegetables, sweet pickle relish. Add cooked shells, stir.
- In saute pan, add shrimp and oil and spices.
- Saute just a few minutes, turning with a spatula until the diced and chopped pieces are cooked.
- Pour the entire contents of pan over the vegetables and shells. Stir until mixed.
- Add miracle whip dressing or the substitute dressing as stated.Mix.
- Add 1 tsp salt and 1/4, 1/2 or 1 tsp white pepper to taste. My family likes the entire 1 teaspoon white pepper. Your family may like a lesser taste of pepper. Serve or cool to serve later.