Another recipe collected in my hunt for healthy recipes. I found this in the British TV chef Anthony Worrall Thompson's 'GI Diet' book. I eat a lot of low glycemic index meals as they help with with my insulin resistance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 heads garlic, cloves separated and finely sliced
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 ounce unsalted butter
- 1 ounce cornflour
- 2 1/2 pints vegetable stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans (can use haricot beans too)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ground black pepper
- parsley, chopped, to serve
- 1In a large heavy-based saucepan, cook the garlic, onions and thyme in the butter over a medium heat until softened, adding a little stock if necessary to prevent sticking. This should take about 7 minutes.
- 2Reduce the heat, stir in the cornflour and cook until lightly brown.
- 3Add the stock gradually, stirring to avoid lumps.
- 4Increase the heat, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 5In small batches, pour the soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Return to the heat.
- 6Drain and rinse the beans.
- 7Add beans to the soup with the vinegar and warm through.
- 8Season with black pepper and serve immediately sprinkled with parsley.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlic Soup With White Beans
Serving Size: 1 (139 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 155.4
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 215.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: