1/1 Photo of Garlic Soup That Cures What Ails You (Aka Hangover Soup)
This is my favorite garlic soup of all. It is wonderful and each bite is as memorable as the first. This garlic soup differs from the ordinary garlic soup as it is hearty but also elegant. It is the kind of soup a person craves when recovering from a cold or a broken heart. It has cured a number of hangovers over the years although scrawled above the recipe I have written “Do not attempt to make with a really really bad hangover!!!!” – and I heed that warning, so plan ahead (I am pretty sure it means not to make it with a real bad hangover if you have to also make the stock). The combination of garlic, herbs and cloves is magic; the tomato juice adds zip and the unctuous egg yolk enrichment is balanced by the pasta’s pleasant, soothing note. This will cure whatever ails you….For an even heartier entrée; place a poached egg on each croûte before ladling the soup over it. Wonderful! This soup is best when made with my Browned Vegetable Stock recipe (#150683), you could use other stock, but it would be a real shame…. a real shame…. so heighten your experience and make the stock as well… you won’t be sorry. For a fine-but-not-fussy meal you’ll be proud to set before anyone, try this soup with THE Salad (“the” Salad The Salad) … because you can never have too much garlic! LOL! Finish with a fruity dessert like a really good baked apple made with brown sugar and served with gingerbread and a dollop of yogurt….. yummy!
My Private Note
as a st ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large heads of garlic, separated into cloves, unpeeled
- 6 cups browned vegetable stock (I use Ultimate Browned Vegetable Stock Ultimate Browned Vegetable Stock) or 6 cups any well-flavored chicken stock or 6 cups well-flavored vegetable stock
- 3 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 3 sprigs parsley
- pepper, to taste
- 2 cups tomato juice (I only use low sodium V8) or 2 cups v 8 vegetable juice (I only use low sodium V8)
- 3/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta or 3/4 cup alphabet pasta or 3/4 cup other small shell pasta
- 3 egg yolks
- 6 -8 garlic bread, croutes (I use Garlic Bread Croutes Garlic Bread Croûtes)
- 4 -6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (or a combination of cheddar & Monterey) or 4 -6 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded (or a combination of cheddar & Monterey)
- finely minced fresh parsley or cilantro, for garnish
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced, for garnish (optional)
- 1In a large stock soup pot combine the garlic, stock, cloves, sage thyme, and parsley. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium-low, and let simmer gently, uncovered for 45 to 60 minutes. Strain the soup, pressing down the solids with the back of a wooden spoon to extract most of the garlic from the peels. Scrape garlic purée from the underside of the strainer into the broth. Discard the garlic peels and the spent herbs.
- 2Add the tomato or V8 juice to the strained soup and bring it to a boil. Drop in the pasta and let it cook until done – 5 minutes for alphabets and 8-10 minutes for the larger shapes.
- 3Meanwhile beat the egg yolks in a small bowl.
- 4Put a croûte in each soup bowl and top with a handful of grated cheese.
- 5When the pasta is done, ladle out a little of the hot soup into the beaten egg yolks. Whisk together, and then whisk this mixture into the soup pot. The soup should thicken almost immediately. Remove the pot from the heat, and ladle the soup over the cheese-covered croûtes. Garnish each serving with a sprinkle of parsley and/or cilantro, and top with a few slices of ripe avocado. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlic Soup That Cures What Ails You (Aka Hangover Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (183 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.1
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 114.2 mg
- Sodium 342.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 10.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: