Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
If you love garlic, this is the soup for you. Great for Cinco de Mayo Fiestas or Hispanic based dinner parties. I like to make it in advance & freeze it. It's also my "goto" soup when I have a head cold. I feel it decreases its severity & duration.
- 1 lb garlic or 8 heads garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 4 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups milk
- Separate the heads of garlic into cloves, but don't bother to peel them.
- Heat olive oil in a 2 quart pot over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally for 15 to 20 minutes or until the skins turn golden.
- Add the onion and cook until soft, another 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, then the lemon juice, bay leaves and thyme.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, place contents of the pot in a food processor or blender and puree.
- Strain garlic puree through strainer into a medium pot over medium heat. Add milk cover and bring to a boil.
- Immediatly reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.