1/1 Photo of Garlic Soup Gratiné (Cream of Garlic Soup)
French cream of garlic soup topped with toasted bread and grated cheese and browned in the oven. Creamy, rich comfort food. Don't be put off by the amount of garlic. It mellows and becomes smooth tasting as it cooks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup garlic, peeled (3-3 1/2 heads of garlic)
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups water, divided (cold)
- 2 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced (white part only)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- white pepper, to taste
- 1 quart chicken broth (4 cups)
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 slices whole wheat bread (French or Italian cut diagonally 1/2-inch thick)
- 1 garlic clove, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon chives, thinly sliced
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2In a pot, cover garlic and bay leaves with 2 cups cold water.
- 3Bring to a boil, then drain.
- 4Repeat process 3 times.
- 5In a large dutch oven, over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp.
- 6Remove bacon from pan and set aside; discard all but 1 tablespoon grease (if there isn't a full tablespoon make up the difference with butter).
- 7Add the onions and leeks and season with salt and pepper; cook, covered, over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender (10-15 minutes).
- 8Add garlic, broth, cream, bacon, and thyme to onion/leek mixture and simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes.
- 9On a baking sheet, bake the bread slices until crisp but not golden (6 minutes).
- 10Remove bay leaves from soup; discard.
- 11In a food processor or blender, purée the soup until smooth (working in batches if necessary).
- 12Pour soup into serving bowls.
- 13Rub each slice of toast on both sides with the cut sides of a garlic clove.
- 14Top each bowl with toast and sprinkle with cheese.
- 15Heat under broiler until golden brown.
- 16Sprinkle with chives.
- 17Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlic Soup Gratiné (Cream of Garlic Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (521 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.9
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 24.2 mg
- Sodium 949.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 10.7 g