Garlic Soup - Authentically French
- Bring the water to a boil and add the bay leaf, sage, thyme, garlic.
- Cook, covered, at a gentle boil, for 40 minutes.
- Strain through a sieve, discard the herbs and pass the garlic through the sieve into the liquid. Taste for salt and add according to your own preference.
- Combine the egg, the yolks, grated cheese and ground pepper in a bowl and stir. Then beat with a small whisk until creamy.
- Slowly pour in the oil, beating all the time. Then, continuing to whisk, add slowly 1/2 cup or so of the garlic bouillon. It is important to slowly warm the egg so that it does not curdle or harden.
- Stir the contents of the bowl into the garlic bouillon.
- Transfer it all to a saucepan and whisk over low to medium heat until it thickens slightly - just enough to be no longer watery.
- Pour it over a handful of broken-up dried-out crusts [or toasted croutons] of bread in a heated soup tureen. Serve immediately.