Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
The original recipe came from an ACCC culinary school learning packet, however the directions have been rewitten as the original was vague as it was geared for culinary students. It's a Spanish recipe known as Sopa De Ajo. Cooking times are approximate.
- 29.58 ml peanut oil
- 9 garlic cloves
- 59.16 ml flour
- 1892.72 ml chicken broth
- 14.79 ml soy sauce
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 6 slice bread (Italian)
- 473.18 ml gruyere (shredded)
- Peel garlic cloves and crush them with the flat side of your knife.
- Add oil to Dutch oven.
- Add garlic into the oil. Saute until light golden in color stirring frequently on medium heat. (Don't burn the garlic).
- Then add the flour. Mix it thoroughly with the garlic and oil making a roux.
- Add chicken broth and soy sauce with roux.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Use a blender to puree the soup in batches. (Warning: When blending hot liquids in a blender, remove the center of the blender lid and place a towel over the hole. This allows the steam to escape safely).
- Return soup back to pot. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Toast bread.
- Ladel soup into oven safe dishes, top with toast and top toast with cheese.
- Broil in oven until cheese is melted and golden.