Recipe by AcadiaTwo
The original recipe came from an ACCC culinary school learning packet, however the directions have been rewitten as the original was vague as it was geared for culinary students. It's a Spanish recipe known as Sopa De Ajo. Cooking times are approximate.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 9 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 6 slices bread (Italian)
- 2 cups gruyere (shredded)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel garlic cloves and crush them with the flat side of your knife.
- Add oil to Dutch oven.
- Add garlic into the oil. Saute until light golden in color stirring frequently on medium heat. (Don't burn the garlic).
- Then add the flour. Mix it thoroughly with the garlic and oil making a roux.
- Add chicken broth and soy sauce with roux.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Use a blender to puree the soup in batches. (Warning: When blending hot liquids in a blender, remove the center of the blender lid and place a towel over the hole. This allows the steam to escape safely).
- Return soup back to pot. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Toast bread.
- Ladel soup into oven safe dishes, top with toast and top toast with cheese.
- Broil in oven until cheese is melted and golden.