Cook1 hr 10 mins
A wonderful rich garlic soup that is not overpowering! Served with a salad, crusty bread and a nice white wine, makes a lovely light supper.
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 quarts chicken broth or 2 quarts vegetable broth
- fresh ground pepper (to your taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage (or 2 leaves fresh)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 1 pinch rosemary
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 6 -8 slices of toasted Italian bread or 6 -8 slices French bread
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- Saute garlic in oil until slightly browned.
- Heat broth and wine until hot but not boiling.
- Add garlic, oil, spices and herbs, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove bay leaf from pot and puree soup.
- Return pureed soup to pot and continue simmering.
- Add cream to egg yolks, then add a bit of soup and mix well.
- Add egg mixture to the pot and simmer for about 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Place a toast slice in each bowl, ladle soup over toast slice and sprinkle with cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!