Recipe by Norahs Girl
This soup is really tasty. The garlic is not overpowering. Good for a dinner party.
Top Review by Charlotte J
This is sooo good!! I doubled it and should have used only 3 heads of garlic. My garlic was extra large heads. If you’re a garlic addict like myself you'll love this recipe. (So the four extra large heads don't bother me.) I wonder where my husband will sleep tonight!! I'm going to have another bowl!!
- 2 heads garlic, peeled
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 slices white bread, crumbed (thick slices)
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 700 ml strong home-made chicken stock
- 500 ml full-cream milk
- 1 pinch dried tarragon
- 125 ml cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan until foaming.
- Add garlic cloves and vegetables.
- Stir-fry for 2-5 minutes, then cover and cook very gently over low heat until all the vegetables are soft; 20 minutes.
- Add breadcrumbs.
- Stir with a wooden spoon from time to time.
- Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Gradually add first the chicken stock and then the milk, stirring constantly.
- Continue cooking, stirring, until the soup comes to the boil.
- Remove the saucepan from the stove, transfer the soup to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- Heat soup through, add tarragon.
- Stir in the cream and serve in piping hot soup bowls.