1/2 Photos of Garlic Shrimp With Asparagus and Lemon
This easy saute uses one pan and is ready in under 30 minutes but the result is wonderful. A real taste of spring with the asparagus and lemon. Adapted from Fine Cooking magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb shrimp, medium to large, peeled and deveined
- 1 pinch black pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 medium garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 3/4 lb asparagus, tough ends snapped off and cut into 2 inch lengths (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1Place shrimp on paper towels and dry very well.
- 2Sprinkle shrimp with a bit of the pepper.
- 3Using a vegetable peeler, peel off strips of the lemon peel and then cut the strips into very thin long pieces; be sure to peel only the yellow part of the peel, not the bitter white part.
- 4Cut lemon in half and juice it into a small dish, removing seeds.
- 5Heat a deep 12 inch skillet (preferably NOT non-stick) over medium high heat for 1 minute.
- 6Add 2 Tbsp of the oil and heat until it's shimmering hot -- just a few seconds.
- 7Add the shrimp in a single layer and do not disturb it; let cook for about 2 minutes until browned.
- 8Turn shrimp over and brown the other side, about 1 1/2 minutes, then transfer to a plate. Shrimp should not be cooked through.
- 9Reduce heat to medium-low and add garlic, stirring for 30 seconds.
- 10Add asparagus, lemon zest strips, red pepper flakes and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- 11Add chicken broth and cover, simmering for 1-2 minutes until asparagus is almost done.
- 12Stir cornstarch with 1 Tbsp water and stir into the pan.
- 13Add shrimp back to the pan and cook another 1-2 minutes until done.
- 14Stir in 1 Tbsp lemon juice, then taste and add more juice and pepper if needed.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlic Shrimp With Asparagus and Lemon
Serving Size: 1 (361 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 315.8
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 190.5 mg
- Sodium 889.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 24.9 g