1/2 Photos of Garlic Shrimp With Asparagus and Lemon
This easy saute uses one pan and is ready in under 30 minutes but the result is wonderful. A real taste of spring with the asparagus and lemon. Adapted from Fine Cooking magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb shrimp, medium to large, peeled and deveined
- 1 pinch black pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 medium garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 3/4 lb asparagus, tough ends snapped off and cut into 2 inch lengths (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1Place shrimp on paper towels and dry very well.
- 2Sprinkle shrimp with a bit of the pepper.
- 3Using a vegetable peeler, peel off strips of the lemon peel and then cut the strips into very thin long pieces; be sure to peel only the yellow part of the peel, not the bitter white part.
- 4Cut lemon in half and juice it into a small dish, removing seeds.
- 5Heat a deep 12 inch skillet (preferably NOT non-stick) over medium high heat for 1 minute.
- 6Add 2 Tbsp of the oil and heat until it's shimmering hot -- just a few seconds.
- 7Add the shrimp in a single layer and do not disturb it; let cook for about 2 minutes until browned.
- 8Turn shrimp over and brown the other side, about 1 1/2 minutes, then transfer to a plate. Shrimp should not be cooked through.
- 9Reduce heat to medium-low and add garlic, stirring for 30 seconds.
- 10Add asparagus, lemon zest strips, red pepper flakes and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- 11Add chicken broth and cover, simmering for 1-2 minutes until asparagus is almost done.
- 12Stir cornstarch with 1 Tbsp water and stir into the pan.
- 13Add shrimp back to the pan and cook another 1-2 minutes until done.
- 14Stir in 1 Tbsp lemon juice, then taste and add more juice and pepper if needed.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlic Shrimp With Asparagus and Lemon
Serving Size: 1 (361 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 315.8
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 190.5 mg
- Sodium 889.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 24.9 g