Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
In this delicious and easy-to-make dish, al dente pasta and moist shrimp are bound together by a wonderful sauce infused with garlic. You can use linguine, but I prefer rigatoni because it is easier to find the shrimp, which are cut into thirds to ensure that every bite boasts a tasty morsel. Marinate the shrimp while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- 5 garlic cloves, minced (about 5 teaspoons)
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and each shrimp cut into 3 pieces (21 to 25 count)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb short pasta (rigatoni, fusilli, or campanelle)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry vermouth or 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 3⁄4 cup bottled clam juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (Italian parsley)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges for serving
- Toss 2 teaspoons of the minced garlic, the shrimp, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and a 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a medium bowl. Let the shrimp marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Heat the smashed garlic cloves and the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is light golden brown, 4 to 7 minutes. remove the skillet from the heat and use a slotted spoon to remove the garlic from the skillet; discard the garlic. Set the skillet aside.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon salt and the pasta. Cook, stirring often, until just al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water, and transfer the pasta back to the pot.
- Meanwhile, return the skillet with the oil to medium heat; add the shrimp with the marinade to the skillet in a single layer. Cook the shrimp, undisturbed, until the oil starts to bubble gently, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir the shrimp and continue to cook through, about 1 minute longer. Using a slotted spoon, transfer, the shrimp to a medium bowl. Add the remaining 3 teaspoons of minced garlic and the red pepper lakes to the skillet and cook until just fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute; stir in the vermouth and cook for 1 minute. add the clam juice and chopped parsley; cook until the mixture starts to thicken, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove skillet from the heat; whisk in the butter and lemon juice. Add the shrimp and sauce to the pasta, adjusting the consistency with up to 1/4 cup of reserved pasta cooking water. Season with pepper to taste.
- Serve, passing the lemon wedges separately.