Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Cooking Light.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) carton plain fat-free yogurt
- 3⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook until golden (about 30 seconds), stirring constantly.
- Stir in water, cumin, coriander, and turmeric. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 7 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook 3 minutes.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, and yogurt in a small bowl and stir with a whisk.
- Stir the yogurt mixture into shrimp mixture. Cover and cook 4 minutes or until shrimp are done. Stir in onions.
We couldn't believe how good this simple, low calorie recipe was. It almost looks like it can't work, but it does beautifully. Used Greek yogurt and had with cumin infused Basmati rice.
This is a five-star hit! Try sprinkling toasted sliced almonds on top ... it is delicious. We made this with plain Greek yogurt, as I am lactose intolerant. Served with jasmine rice and a salad made from lettuce cut into fine shreds, wafer thin sliced celery and poppyseed dressing. Toss a few of those almonds on the salad, too.
This wonderful blending of flavors is amazing and for the calorie count it's nothing less than stellar. I made it as directed with no problems and it came together easily. Served with Jasmine rice and a fruit salad this made one delicious and memorable meal. Thanks so much for this Marra. :D