1/1 Photo of Garlic-Sherry Chicken
I was participating in a forum thread where a cook was looking for a garlic sauce recipe for chicken. The recipes people were talking about sounded so good that I made my chicken with the garlic-y sherry sauce for dinner tonight and wrote it down so I could post it. The marinated artichoke hearts give it a special tang. If your family is larger or smaller than mine its easy to adjust quantities and it holds well if you need it to -- a good buffet dish for entertaining. I use bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts because they stay moister during cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Use a sharp knife and poultry shears to divide chicken breasts into 4-6oz, serving pieces. You can get two pieces out of a moderate-sized breast or 3 pieces out of a large one.
- 2Drain and coarsely chop artichoke hearts.
- 3Heat butter and olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy skillet that can go into the oven.
- 4Brown chicken on all sides, browning the skin side first. Remove to a dish that will catch the juices.
- 5Saute onions and garlic on low-medium until onions are soft and translucent.
- 6Add mushrooms if using them and cook briefly.
- 7Add sherry to pan and stir until it has all evaporated.
- 8Sprinkle flour over the onions and cook as a roux for a minute or two. If there is not enough fat remaining in the pan add a little more butter.
- 9Slowly add chicken broth, stirring vigorously so as not to create any lumps. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then turn heat down to a simmer.
- 10Add artichoke hearts, chicken pieces, and chicken juices. Stir in gently.
- 11Cover and simmer 8-12 minutes or until the chicken is barely cooked and the sauce has thickened slightly. (The sauce will still be quite runny, not thick like gravy).
- 12Hold in oven at 225F if necessary. Could be held in a crockpot on warm for buffet service.
- 13I suggest serving over rice or noodles. Also good with crusty bread to sop up the sauce. Your favorite green vegetable will round out the meal nicely.
- 14Note: If you wish to use boneless, skinless breasts I suggest cooking them until almost done in the browning stage so that they will finish cooking as they sit while you make the sauce, then rewarming them briefly in the sauce immediately before serving.
- 15Note: If your family prefers dark meat you could use thighs instead of or in addition to breasts but will probably need to pour off excess grease before adding the flour.
- 16Note: If you want a thicker, more gravy-like sauce increase the flour to achieve your preferred texture.
- 17Note: This recipe can be made with boneless pork chops instead of chicken if you follow the directions for boneless breasts.
- 18Variation: Decrease the amount of chicken stock slightly. Add the juice and zest of one lemon and 1 tbs capers.
- 19Variation: Add 1-2lbs of barely-cooked asparagus tips at the last moment and cook just long enough to heat through.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlic-Sherry Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 427.5
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 104.3 mg
- Sodium 458.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 36.1 g