Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This rice is good as a side dish with Asian main courses.
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (found in Chinese section of grocery store)
- 1 large garlic clove, sliced very thin
- 1 2⁄3 cups fat free chicken broth
- Place the rice in a large bowl, cover with water.
- With your hands, swish the water around to remove the starch off the rice.
- Drain the rice and continue till the water is no longer milky looking, but is clear.
- Add cool water to cover the rice by at least 1".
- Soak for 20 minutes.
- Place a medium pan on medium heat and add sesame oil.
- When the oil begins to smoke, add the garlic, stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the rice and stir for 30 seconds.
- Carefully add the broth, which will spit a little at first.
- Boil the rice, uncovered and without stirring, till the surface is covered with steam holes and grains on top appear dry, about 8 minutes. reduce the heat to lowest setting.
- cover and cook 10 minutes more.
- Turn off the heat and allow the rice to sit, covered 5 minutes.
- Uncover and fluff with fork, serve.