Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Garlic, seasoned salt, sesame, poppy, cheese, or top with anything you want. (bread machine dough cycle)
- 1 cup water (90-100 degree F)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup semolina flour (100 percent durum)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- garlic clove, minced (optional)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- poppy seed (optional)
- sesame seeds (optional)
- kosher salt (optional)
- dried onion flakes (optional)
- olive, minced fine (optional)
- seasoning salt (optional)
- Add water and oil to bread pan.
- Top with flours, cheese, sugar and salt.
- Make a well in center and add yeast.
- Lock pan into machine.
- Program machine for Dough Cycle.
- When dough is done, let sit for 15 minutes.
- Knead well and roll out into 9x8 rectangle on a floured surface.
- Cut into three 8 inch strips.
- Cut each strip into 10 strips.
- Roll and stretch each piece into 12 inch sticks.
- Lightly roll each in olive oil then into optional toppings.
- Place on cookie sheet pans and cover with plastic wrap for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until light golden brown for soft texture or bake 5 more minutes for a crisp texture.
These were a hit at my Italian-themed Christmas dinner. I used asiago cheese instead of the parmesan since its what I had on hand. I made it by hand since I don't have a bread machine. The dough was very stiff and it was a workout to knead. I rolled the dough out with a rolling pin, and then cut into strips with a pizza cutter and then rolled those into snakes just long enough to fit the width of my sheet pan lined with parchment. I topped with olive oil, roasted garlic, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, salt, pepper, red pepper flake, and more asiago. They were wonderful. They were even better the next day when they dried out a bit more and were actually a bit on the stale side.
Made these WONDERFULLY TASTY STICKS, & fairly easy to make, as well! I did them by hand & topped them with olive oil, garlic powder, sesame seeds & parmesan cheese! An absolute keeper of a recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC cooking game]