Prep 6 mins
Cook 4 mins
I saw Ina make this super easy side dish a few weeks back. It is easy, delicious and very tasty. From: Food Network / Barefoot Contessa Family Style. The beauty of this that I have halved the recipe and just made enough for the 2 of us.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic (6 cloves)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, I use less
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 lemon
- Rinse the spinach well in cold water to make sure it's very clean. Spin it dry in a salad spinner, leaving just a little water clinging to the leaves.
- In a very large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil and saute the garlic over medium heat for about 1 minute, but not until it's browned.
- Add all the spinach, the salt, and pepper to the pot, toss it with the garlic and oil, cover the pot, and cook it for 2 minutes. *At this point Ina turned off the flame/ heat source, covered the pan and let it wilt until ready to serve. This is how I made it and it worked beautifully.
- Uncover the pot, turn the heat on high, and cook the spinach for another minute, stirring with a wooden spoon, until all the spinach is wilted.
- Using a slotted spoon, lift the spinach to a serving bowl and top with the butter, a squeeze of lemon, and a sprinkling of sea or kosher salt. Serve hot.
I'm not sure quite what I was expecting, but it wasn't this. However, I did quite like it. I think I overcooked it, since mine is much more wilted than your photo, but this falls under the quick, easy, and yummy category. I'll definitely make this again, particularly if I have spinach a little past its prime for using raw (like what I used tonight). I completely forgot to add the butter and lemon at the end, but the garlic and oil and flavored it quite nicely.