Recipe by Tee Lee
From an Easy Everyday Cooking recipe card. Chicken pieces are browned, then simmered in an onion and garlic sauce. Slice mushrooms and saute them with the chicken in the beginning for a different variation.
Top Review by mamadelogan
My family really enjoys this recipe. I have made a few changes however. I upped the flour to 4 tb and used 2 cups of water. I also add 1-2 tsp of fresh grated ginger to the sauce and serve over steamed rice with a side of veggies for a complete meal. Thanks for posting
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) chicken, quartered
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook until browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken and keep warm.
- Add onion and garlic to skillet drippings.
- Cook, stirring frequently until vegetables are a deep golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and cook, stirring continually until golden brown.
- Gradually stir boiling water into skillet.
- Cook, stirring continutally until sauce thickens slightly.
- Return chicken pieces to skillet.
- Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add red pepper flakes and salt.
- Simmer 5 minutes longer.
- Serve chicken topped with sauce.