6 hrs 45 mins
A rich paste of roasted garlic and fresh rosemary is rubbed under the skin and over the bird. It also gives a boost to the gravy. From Bon Appetit, November 2001.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large head garlic, unpeeled, top 1/3 inch cut off to expose garlic
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Turkey and Gravy
- 1For garlic paste:.
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F
- 3Arrange garlic, cut side up, in 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish.
- 4Drizzle with 6 tablespoons oil.
- 5Cover dish with foil.
- 6Bake until garlic is very tender but not yet brown, about 1 hour 20 minutes.
- 7Uncover and cool 45 minutes.
- 8Squeeze garlic cloves to remove from peel.
- 9Place 1 cup garlic cloves in processor (reserve remainder for another use).
- 10Add butter, rosemary, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- 11Process until almost smooth.
- 12Transfer paste to small bowl. (Can be made 4 days ahead. Cover; chill.).
- 13For turkey and gravy:.
- 14Set rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 350°F
- 15Rinse turkey inside and out; pat dry.
- 16Starting at neck end, carefully slide hand between skin and breast meat to loosen skin.
- 17Rub 1/2 cup garlic paste over breast meat under skin.
- 18If stuffing turkey, spoon stuffing into neck and main cavities.
- 19Tuck wings under; tie legs together loosely to hold shape.
- 20Place turkey on small rack set in large roasting pan.
- 21Rub 2/3 cup garlic paste all over outside of turkey; reserve remaining paste for gravy.
- 22Place reserved turkey parts, onion, celery, and carrot in pan around turkey.
- 23Boil wine in medium saucepan 2 minutes.
- 24Pour 1 cup wine and 1 cup broth into pan.
- 25Roast turkey 1 hour.
- 26Pour 1 cup broth over turkey; cover turkey breast loosely with foil.
- 27Roast 1 hour.
- 28Pour 1 cup wine and 1 cup broth over turkey.
- 29Cover breast and top of drumsticks loosely with foil.
- 30Roast turkey 1 hour.
- 31Pour 1/2 cup broth over turkey.
- 32Roast uncovered until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175°F, covering any exposed parts of turkey with foil as necessary if over-browning, about 1 hour 10 minutes longer for unstuffed turkey and 1 hour 45 minutes for stuffed.
- 33Remove from oven.
- 34Using bulb baster, transfer any juices from main cavity of unstuffed turkey to turkey roasting pan.
- 35Transfer turkey to platter; let stand 30 minutes (internal temperature of turkey will increase 5 to 10 degrees).
- 36Pour turkey pan juices into medium bowl; scrape in any browned bits from pan.
- 37Spoon off fat from top of juices, reserving 3 tablespoons fat.
- 38Strain juices into large glass measuring cup, pressing hard on solids.
- 39Add remaining 1/2 cup wine and enough chicken broth to turkey pan juices to measure 6 cups.
- 40Heat reserved 3 tablespoons turkey fat in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- 41Add mushrooms; saute until brown and juices evaporate, about 18 minutes.
- 42Mix in remaining garlic paste.
- 43Sprinkle with flour and stir until flour begins to brown, about 2 minutes.
- 44Gradually whisk in 6 cups broth mixture.
- 45Bring to boil, scraping up browned bits.
- 46Boil until gravy coats spoon lightly, about 8 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- 47Serve turkey with gravy.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlic-Rosemary Turkey With Mushroom Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (854 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1104.9
- Calories from Fat 512
- Total Fat 56.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 405.6 mg
- Sodium 877.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 124.4 g