Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
- 1 (5 -6 lb) roasting chickens
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 medium red onions
- 2 whole garlic heads
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- fresh rosemary (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Remove the giblets, etc. and discard.
- Loosen skin around chicken and stuff with rosemary and crushed garlic between the skin on breasts and drummys.
- Lift the wingtips up and over back, and tuck under the chicken.
- Place chicken breast side up, on broiler pan.
- Cut thin slice from each end of onion.
- Remove paper from garlic and chop tops.
- Brush garlic and onions with olive oil and arrange around chicken.
- Insert meat thermometer into meaty part of thigh.
- Bake at 450°F for 30 minutes, reduce to 350°F and bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until meat thermometer hits 180°F.
Wasn't all that impressed...I expected that the garlic and onions would be edible, but they were too greasy on one side and too dry on the other. Chicken would have been just as good by itself with garlic/herbs rubbed under skin.
I can't really comment too much since I'm a vegetarian but my husband and my guests LOVED this and couldn't get enough. I didn't arrange the onions and garlic around he chicken, though. :) Thanks!