Recipe by Northwest Lynnie
Crustacean restaurants in CA are famous for their garlicky roasted crab, which is a highly guarded secret recipe. This recipe is a great substitute. I especially like to make it on a cold day, and it ranks high on my all-time favorite recipes list.
- 4 (1 1/4 lb) fresh cooked and cleaned dungeness crabs
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 500*.
- In a very large oven-proof bowl, place butter and olive oil.
- Put in oven to melt butter and heat bowl (the bowl needs to be hot when you add the crab).
- Break crab legs apart from body, and break body into 2 sections per crab, but do not remove meat from shell.
- Stir crab into hot butter and olive oil mixture; sprinkle in minced garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss everything together well.
- Bake for 6 minutes and toss well again.
- Bake another 6 minutes, until crab is heated through and garlic is light brown.
- Remove from oven and top with lemon juice and parsley; toss again.
- Serve from hot bowl with lots of napkins and artisanal French or sourdough bread (such as La Brea Bakery's) to soak up the delicious juices.