This is something I've been throwing together for awhile and finally decided to measure and write down. It's a much healthier potato dish than most. I loved making scalloped potatoes before, but they are high in fat, cholesterol, calories, etc. that this is what I've learned to make instead as a healthy potato dish alternative.
- 5 medium potatoes, washed & peeled
- 1⁄2-1 red bell pepper (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 -2 teaspoon onion, minced (you could also cut up some fresh onion instead)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vegan chicken broth (you could also use vegetable broth or a regular chicken broth)
- salt, to taste
- 8 ounces feta (optional)
- green onion, fresh and chopped (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a large baking dish with PAM or lightly greece with a little oil.
- Cut potatoes into 1 cm slices.
- Mix sliced potatoes in a mixing bowl with all other ingredients except the feta and green onions if you are using them.
- Arrange the potato mixture in the baking dish.
- Roast the potatoes in the oven for 45 - 50 minutes or until tender.
- If adding the feta, increase the temperature to 430 degrees Fahrenheit at this point, crumble the feta over the potatoes along with the green onions, and return the dish to the oven for 10 minutes or until the feta softens.
I scaled this back for 2 serves and used chat (baby) potatoes which I just quartered and cooked in an 8"x8" pan and the DS and I found them to be delicious with the garlic flavour (I did use extra - just love the stuff) coming through so beautifully, I didn't use any of the optionals and thoroughly enjoyed just the potatoes. Thyank you Enjoinfam, made for Aussie/Kiwi Recipe Swap #51 April 2011.