1/3 Photos of Garlic Roast Chicken (Barefoot Contessa)
1 hr 45 mins
After seeing this on Food Network and trying it that very night, I'll never make a roasted chicken any other way. The vegetables alone are worth it, but the chicken is so unbelievably tender and juicy that you can't help but go back for seconds. I've made only very subtle changes to suit my taste, and I would recommend nearly doubling the veggies if feeding four grown people. Reheated leftovers are phenomenal (use medium power on microwave).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1As soon as you get the chicken home, salt it inside and out, wrap it and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- 2When you are ready to cook the chicken, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Pat the outside of the chicken dry with paper towels. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken and stuff the cavity with the all the garlic and lemon.
- 3Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. Place it in a roasting pan just large enough to hold it and the vegetables.
- 4Scatter the onion slices, carrots and potatoes around the chicken. Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter, pour all remaining butter over vegetables and sprinkle everything with salt and pepper.
- 5Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. Baste chicken and vegetables with juices a couple times during cooking. (Our 5 1/2 lb chicken needed 1 hr 20 mins.).
- 6Remove the chicken, place on cutting board, and cover with aluminum foil. Place the vegetables back in the oven and continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes.
- 7When the vegetables are cooked, carve the chicken and place the slices on a platter surrounded by the vegetables. Drizzle some pan juices over the chicken and vegetables.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlic Roast Chicken (Barefoot Contessa)
Serving Size: 1 (1147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2568.6
- Calories from Fat 1263
- Total Fat 140.3 g
- Saturated Fat 46.7 g
- Cholesterol 603.2 mg
- Sodium 798.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 174.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.8 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 150.8 g