Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is from a Taste of Home recipe magazine. Originally submitted by Bridget Evans of Forreston, IL. This is a super simple and tasty recipe for a busy weeknight. The recipe calls for a loaf of garlic bread but I used the presliced texas toast type frozen garlic bread and it worked out perfectly. I also used chipotle cheddar sliced cheese which was tasty too. Loved this recipe so much I had to post it.
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) frozen garlic bread (loaf)
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2⁄3 cup onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb deli roast beef, shaved
- 6 slices colby cheese
- Bake garlic gread according to package directions.
- Meanwhile; in a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion, and garlic in butter until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce.
- Layer each half of garlic bread with roast beef, mushroom mixture and cheese.
- Return to oven.
- Bake 1 or 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Slice and serve immediately.
I knew last night we'd be rushed for dinner and I'm also on a kick to use things up in my freezer, so this recipe fit the bill! I was not disappointed! They made a quick and tasty weeknight supper. Like Shelby Jo I used frozen garlic toast, and that worked great. Our small town deli was closed when I went to the store, so I used Hillshire Farms packaged roast beef and only made 4 sandwiches, so I played with the amounts some. I used 8 oz of the roast beef for 4 sandwiches, but a full 1/2 lb of mushrooms and the 2/3 cup onion since I am a nut about mushrooms and onions! I also used Colby Jack slices since they didn't have plain Colby sliced. Easy and straightforward to make on a harried night. Served with tater tots and green beans. Will be making again for sure! Thanks for sharing Shelby Jo!!!
I used leftover prime rib roast slices for this and homemade garlic bread. Oh my gosh, it's delicious and was marvelous last evening for dinner. Loved the onion/mushrooms and I think I'll be using that for other things. Super easy and super man pleasing. Houston, we have a keeper!
I used Steak-ums instead of roast beef. After layering the meat, onions/mushroom I spread a layer of cheese dip on top and then added a piece of mozzarella cheese. Good sandwich.
Made for 2012 Zaar Cookbook Tag game